Search This Blog

Custom Search

Feb 14, 2012

{Rice Cooker} Chocolate Lava Cake

Rice Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
Yup, you read that right, a chocolate cake in a rice cooker… Who would’ve thought, right? When I first heard about making a cake in a rice cooker, I had my doubts. I thought it sounded weird but interesting.

But I am so glad that I took a chance and decided to make it – It is so easy and simple to make it, too. My mother in law sells Pampered Chef and she showed how to make a lava cake in one of Pampered Chef rice cookers. She microwaved it for 10 minutes and the cake was done. That was really cool – but I do not own one of those pampered chef rice cookers. I own a Sanyo rice cooker and my husband and I weren’t sure if we could microwave the one we have.

We decided that we probably shouldn’t microwave our rice cooker bowl – I really didn’t want to have to replace my rice cooker or the microwave for that matter… and of course, the cake which was the thing we were mostly worried about… lol Well, we cooked the caked in the microwave. Pushed the “cook” button and a while later, a delicious cake was created. Delicious! Probably one of the BESTEST!

I have to admit though, at first we weren’t sure it was going to cook – but you must have patience and believe me, you won’t regret. It took more than two hours for the rice cooker to fully cook the cake – so plan ahead. You will want to start the cake even BEFORE you start cooking your meal. Just push the cook button and be patient. If it’s still liquidy after an hour, no worries, just wait a little longer. You are about to taste the best, moist delicious chocolate cake ever.
{Rice Cooker} Chocolate Lava Cake
Ingredients
  • 1 box of Dunkenhein's Devil's Food Chocolate Cake mix (mix all necessary ingredients together following the box instructions)
  • 1 can of Betty Crocker milk chocolate frosting, divided
  • (optional) cooking spray
Directions
  1. In a rice cooker bowl, spray with cooking spray if your rice cooker bowl is not non-stick. Place all cake mix ingredients together in the rice cooker bowl. Spoon half of the chocolate frosting in the middle of the cake batter.
  2. Place the bowl in the rice cooker and push the cook button. (My rice cooker has a slow cooker option, so I pushed that button and it took about 2 hours or maybe even longer. The cooking time may vary according to different rice cookers - so when your rice cooker beeps saying it's done, and you open the rice cooker and it's still liquidy, no worries, just push the cook button again and wait. You may have to repeat this process a couple of times. But remember, the cake will be very moist and worth the wait. Just plan ahead!)
  3. When the cake is fully cooked, flip the bowl upside down onto a flat plate. Heat the rest of the frosting in microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Pour the frosting over the warm cake. Serve warm.